( Back to General Information )
Cooking Beef Is As Easy as 1, 2, 3!
- T – Bone, Porterhouse, Top Sirloin, Strip Loin, Wing, Tenderloin, Tri – Tip (steak tails), Rib Eye, Rib, Sirloin Season steak.
- Grill, broil, sauté or pan-frying using medium-high heat, turning regularly to prevent juices from bubbling out.
- .Cook to desired doneness.
Blade, brisket, cross rib. You can use other steaks as well.
- Season steak/strips. In a lightly oiled skillet, brown all over. Add sliced onion, green pepper and garlic, etc. if desired.
- Add enough liquid (such as canned soup or tomatoes, broth or red wine) to just cover beef.
- Simmer, covered, on stove-top or in 325 deg. F (160 deg. C) oven approximately 1 ¼ hours or until tender. Serve with cooked rice, noodles or mashed potatoes.
Premium Oven Roasts
Top sirloin, tenderloin, strip loin, prime rib, rib eye, eye of round, rump, sirloin tip
- Place 2 – 5 lb (1 – 2.5 kg) roast, fat – side – up, on rack in roasting pan. Season roast; (if available - insert oven – safe meat thermometer into centre of roast, avoiding fat or bone).
- Add ½ inch (1 cm) water, wine or broth to pan. Cook, uncovered, in 500 deg. F (260 deg. C) oven for 30 min. Reduce heat to 275 deg. F (140 deg C); cook 1 ¼ - 1 ½ hours until thermometer reads 155 deg. F (68 deg C) for medium.
- Remove roast to cutting board; tent with foil for 10 – 15 min. to allow temperature to rise 5 deg. F (3 deg. C) and for the meat to rest. Carve roast across the grain into thin slices.
Blade, Cross Rib, Shoulder Roasts
- Season roast. Brown roast in lightly oiled Dutch oven or stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add 1-2 cups (250-500 ml.) liquid (such as red wine, broth, canned tomatoes or soup).
- Simmer, covered, on stove-top or in 325 deg. F (160 deg. C) oven at least 3 hours or until tender. Add chunks of vegetables for final ½ hour, if desired.
If you have a slow cooker / crock pot, this is a great way to cook these roasts also! Follow the same directions place the pot on low, but add 2 hours to the cooking time.
Sirloin Tip, Eye of Round, Inside Round, Out Side Round (rump), Rib Eye, Strip Loin, Top Sirloin.
- Season roast. Insert meat thermometer length wise into the centre of the roast (if using one) so that the shaft is not visible. Place on rack in ovenproof skillet or shallow pan.
- Cook 1 lb (450 g.) roast, uncovered, in 350 deg. F. (180 deg. C.) oven 50-60 minutes or until thermometer reads 155 deg. F. (68 deg. C.) for medium.
- Remove roast to cutting board; tent with foil for 5 minutes to allow temperature to rise about 5 deg. F. (3 deg. C.). Cut into thin slices across the grain.
Sirloin tip, outside round (rump), inside round, top sirloin, prime rib (let us tie on additional fat for additional juiciness and inform us that the roast is for the rotisserie so we may tie the roast better)
- Pierce roast numerous times with long fork. Place in large reseal able freezer bag with 2 cups (500 ml) teriyaki sauce, Italian salad dressing, wine or beer or any other liquid marinade of your choosing and place the baged roast in an appropriate sized bowl. Refrigerate 12 – 24 hours. Turn the roast regularly during this time. Discard marinade.
- Place drip pan under were meat will be; add ½ inch (1 cm) water to pan. Preheat barbecue to medium – high (400 deg. F / 200 deg. C). Cooking with rotisserie: insert spit rod lengthwise through centre of roast; secure with holding forks.
- Insert oven – safe meat thermometer (if available) into middle of roast avoiding spit rod. With constant heat and closed barbecue, cook over drip pan until thermometer reads 155 deg. F (68 deg. C) for medium (about 30 min. per lb / 500 g.). Remove to cutting board; tent with foil for 10 – 15 min. to allow temperature to rise 5 deg. F (3 deg. C) and for the meat to rest. Carve roast across the grain into thin slices.