2 Side Cut Stemmlers Beef SIde Ribes RUB
1⁄4 Cup Canola Oil
1 Tbsp Montreal Steak Spice
1 Tsp Dried Thyme
1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1⁄2 Cup Stemmler’s Apple Cinnamon Bacon (cooked & chopped)
1 Cup Beef Stock
1⁄2 Cup Stemmler’s Smokin Good Sauce
1⁄2 Cup Wellesley Apple Syrup
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
5 sprigs Fresh Thyme
2 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1⁄2 Tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
1⁄2 Cup Rose or Zinfandel WIne (Ontario)
1 Small Bunch Stemmed Baby Carrots Whole (Cleaned and Stems Cut off)
2 Baby Turnips (Peeled and Quartered)
1 Small Onion (Chopped)
1 Parsnip (Peeled and Chopped)
1 LB Fingerling Potatoes (Washed and Whole)
1⁄2 Celeriac (Peeled, Cleaned and Cubed)
Serves 3-4 People (1⁄2 hr prep/ 8-10 hrs cook time)
1. Place the rub all over the meat. In a hot pan, sear off all sides of each rib until it has a nice caramelization or colour to it.
2. Add all liquids to the large crockpot-, stock, Stemmlers sauce, syrup, paste,wine together and whisk until smooth.
3. Place all veg (onion, carrots, turnips, parsnip, potato, celeriac) and herbs into the liquid
4. Lay the seared short ribs on top, with the bone resting on the veg, then add the fresh herbs
5. Place the lid on so it seals
6. Place in 300F oven for 8-10 hours (I prefer longer): or if its an electric crock, start it on high for an hour then switch it to low for the rest of the time.
Pull the meat out after the allotted time and make sure it’s ready to fall off the bone. Gently remove the veg and set on baking sheet. Place in oven on High Broil to get a little colour (5-7 min). Strain the braising liquid and place it in a pot and back on the heat to simmer. Before the next step, take a ladle and slowly skim the top of the sauce to remove any grease. It may take a few times. Mix 1 TBSP Corn Starch and Water to make a little slurry. Add to the simmering liquid and whisk. It will thicken the sauce. When the Veg is out of the oven, serve it all together.