Ingredients for Lamb
- 2 Lamb Shanks
- 1.5 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1 Cup Rose Wine
- 1 Medium Onion (diced)
- 2 Whole Carrots (diced)
- 4 Celery Stalks (chopped)
- 3 Whole Cloves Garlic
- ½ Cup Stemmler's Smokin Good Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 6 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Salt & Pepper plus some of your Favourite Seasoning
Instructions for Lamb Serves 2 People (20 min prep/ 4 hrs total cook time/ 1 hr reheat time)
1. In a crockpot or a roasting pan, add the garlic, onions, carrots, celery, smokin good sauce, tomato paste, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves. Stir it all to mix the sauce with the rest of the items.
2. Remove the lamb from the package and trim off some of the white silverskin (similar to a pork tenderloin). Season the entire shank with salt, pepper plus any of your other favorite seasonings. Heat the oil in a pan and once hot, sear off each side of the shank (you may need to add a bit more oil each time). Once that is done, place them on the vegetables in the crockpot or the roasting pan. Once all the shanks are seared off, cover them completely with the liquids; wine, stock and a touch of water, if needed. Cover with a lid or some foil and turn on low or place in 300F oven for 4 hours.
3. You can make this the day before and set it in the fridge overnight once it's finished. This allows the grease/fat to rise and harden on top. The next day, when you are ready to serve it, pull it out a couple hours ahead of time and scrape off the thin layer of fat. When you start to reheat it (medium heat or 350F), you can prepare your side dishes.
4. After about an hour or when the shanks are hot again, carefully remove them from the liquid. Set aside and cover to keep warm. Strain off the braising liquid into a pot and turn on high. You want to let this boil down and reduce to make the jus. I like to use about half the liquid to start as it will reduce quicker. You can also add some more wine (for this you can use a nice red wine. Add about half a cup) and keep reducing until it coats the back of a spoon.
5. When your side dishes are done (for this recipe, I used a sweet potato mash, sliced portobello, spaghetti squash and wine braised kale) place them nicely on the plate along with the lamb shank, drizzle with the reduced jus and enjoy your romantic dinner
Instructions for Charcuterie
- Stemmler’s Turkey Summer Sausage
- Pepper Mini Salami
- Mild Soppressata
- Westfalian Ham
- Stemmler’s Turkey Pepperstix
- Caramelized Onion Cheddar
- In-Cider Semi-Soft Cheese
- Nettle Goat Cheese
Instructions for Charcuterie Serves 2-4 People (10 min prep time)
1. Slice/cut meats and cheeses to your liking. Add any accoutrements such as fruits, pickled items, mustards, chutneys or sauces. Serve with breads, crackers and crostini; a great start to any meal!